Wednesday, July 04, 2018

[ I Quit before I thought of Quiting.]

I was fed up managing the mills when there was no money and no one bothered how the mill would work with out money and me but that was not my concern. I had to manage my family also as my wife and daughter who was doing her Honors in a reputed college were away 700 KM from my place. A daily telephonic talk was some consolation but not a solution. I was thinking how to pay the workers their wages and one of the Directors just walked in and he was a teacher and a Professor in a local college.He was a very sober man but had put a break for my job in another good and better mill so that I will not go and create a vacancy and to headache to him to get another man. We discussed several issues and I told him that I need to dispatch the goods and get the money for wages. He did not say do it nor don't do it nor suggested some other way. From his talk he was thinking why I should be doing what they should be doing and started asking questions which again suggested that they ( Directors ) would find a way. I thought here is that the trust in me I found which was fading and my mind thought of just telling him OK you find the way and I will find my way. I did not say anything but took out my office keys and kept it on the table in front of him. He was suddenly serious because he knew I was quitting. I got up from my chair and extended my hand to tell him good bye. He was dumb stuck and could not say anything for a while but extended his hand after I had withdrawn my hand. I did not extend my hand but told him to inform Chairman that I am going home and my account may be settled and check sent to my home address.I just walked out to the main road and waited till a rural bus to came and it dropped me in town.

I came to my hotel room refreshed and called my wife and told her I would be home next day for lunch as I had quit my job.She wanted to know what happened and I told her. She said get the hell out of there.

I relaxed over a drink and slept after dinner. Next morning I paid my Bills by my Credit Card said good bye to hotel staff and owner who discounted my bill generously and said sorry for missing me in town. I took the bus to Highway to take another bus to my home 700 KM away down South.

There was no check nor any letter for over two years.I got to know from my selling agent another man had joined but not as MD of the mills but as GM and he had quit taking goods from the mills as he knew their ( Directors and Chairman ) a set of people who were professors but not knowing the running of a textile mill.

After nearly a year some director called me and told me no one was buying the yarn and what was sold was also returned from the buyer.

My daughter had completed her Honors and wanted to do Masters at a college for a professional course at Pune. I was busy and did not bother. My wife told my son who was in USA that I had quit the job. He asked me what had happened and I told him. He told me not to bother as I had worked hard up to my limit and more work would only make me no good health benefits. 

No comments: