Tuesday, July 31, 2018

[ I had won but will they win? ]

I had come and did my job in taking the sick industry to a normal profitable unit, the proof being some one did come to take the production and keep the mill running.

The some one who came was another contractor who will take the same contract as I had made as there was none in the mill to make any changes in the interest of the unit. To run it profitably the parameters were all that of the management and not contractor, the critical one's being quality, productivity and machine utilization. The other key areas of management being industry norms in maintenance and in use of power, labor and all over heads included in arriving at cost the of product per unit which is 1 Kg or 1 Meter in textiles for yarn or cloth. I was not making both, what I did manufactured was Industrial yarn sewing thread yarn of superior quality which was sold at Rs.xxx Per Kg.

The quality of sewing thread yarn is of paramount importance since the needle with thread traverses at 10 Meters per Minute or more. Any repeated breakage of yarn at the needle, the entire lot will be rejected and there will be dispute arising resulting in not only loss to mill but trust and reputation  also.

How are the people with out my monitoring of production will be able to keep, I had my own doubts as my own experience had given me some times a big issue in teaching the workman when I had to bring a sewing machine and a tailor to show how the yarn path goes at various points on the machine.

I had told my contractor to call me over phone as to what had happened after my exit from that holy town but he had forgotten or thought it was of no issue to him. I had lost Rs.60,000 dues of my salary from the mill since, now over 8+ years from the year 2000 when I left the place.

Few months back while I was referring to some telephone numbers in my old diary I found the telephone number of the contractor and called him there was no response. After so many years it was possible the telephone number had changed, so I thought and kept quite. However, I got a call from him and he went on telling how the people had sold his production for which he had paid for the raw material and never paid the money yet. He said he had lost his father and was doing the business now independently and getting on doing his business. He wanted to know if I was back for a 3rd time.

I told him that the Vice Chairman was now Chairman and had called me to ask where he could stay if he had to come to my town.

I told him he can stay with me or I would arrange his stay in a hotel. Immediately he mentioned a date which was the next day and said he would call me from the bus stop as it stops at around 7:00 AM perhaps he phoned but I was at the Bus stop and received and he said he will stay in a hotel as he had to meet some one to show his book he had written. I told him to take rest at his hotel where I had booked his accommodation earlier meet his friend complete the work and call me in the morning. I told him the breakfast which we both had was included in the room tariff and he should not pay for it said good luck and left.

He phoned to me in the evening and said he had completed all discussions about what he had written and wanted to discuss about it and asked his friend to Edit it and also wanted to discuss with me also ( what the hell I thought he had brought my Check fro Rs.60,000/- and I did everything he doesn't even mention a word Chairman or how he is now a Chairman not coming to mills )fine, I will come, we can discuss, it will be my pleasure and we can have dinner to gether I told.( still thinking he may have the check )

He phoned around 6:00 PM and told me if I can go over and look at the writing and say how it is going to help farmers. The Hotel was just 15 minutes from my house so I met him and over 2 hours I saw sheets of paper he had written, some typed some pasted with text and pictures. I went thro all the papers the subject was nice. I told him to add rain water harvesting and about solar power.  Oh yes I will do it and bring it to my home to meet my family also in the evening he said. I asked about the mill, he said it is stopped and we are looking for a contractor. I did not say a word. Some chit chat went on and I told him I must go as was expecting a guest . It was Dinner time and perhaps he had not taken Lunch so I went to reception and asked weather my guest has taken Lunch. They said no. I went back and asked him why you did not take lunch. I had some snacks with my friend so did not feel like having lunch. My friend after discussions had a meeting so he went but he asked me to come again the next day.

No comments: