Tuesday, September 18, 2018

[ I also worked as Project Manager.]

This was a very big composite TEXTILE mill where they manufactured fabrics of fibers grown in India. Their production per day was 1,00,000 lac meters . A separate shed in this unit manufactured "Cotswool" a fabric of cotton and wool bended fabric for Indian Navy and school uniforms and shirting's for local apparel. market, further they did manufacture Woollen fabrics also and this was again a separate unit and again a separate unit manufactured Silk Fabrics. All the units were under One Resident Director.in one state and the Registered office, the Board and Chairman were in another state where again a huge textile mill was manufacturing textile fabrics for India and other countries.

The Resident Director of the unit was a technocrat and we knew each other. He was told by some of his known person that I had resigned from my post as General Manager of a big mill and offered me a job as Mill Manager 'in waiting' as the Mill Manager was about to retire. I had still 6 more years to retire. During the interview he told me I could take over the Mill Manager's position after his retirement after 6 months and in the mean time I would be working as Project Manager since the project was to start immediately and Mill Manager would not be able to complete the project. I trusted him and joined him. I was paid the same salary and grade of Mill Manager. He told me I would be located in Mill Office and can enter the mill anytime either by the main gate or Main Office Officer's Gate with the Key.

I joined duty and my first job was to spend my whole day going round the mill, dep't by dep't and meeting all the Heads of all Dep't after I took rounds with the Resident Director. My ambition was to join the mill as an apprentice after I completed my textile diploma course at the local college SKSJTI in the year 1956. Here I was going round the mill as Project Manager and above all dep't heads including my college mates from degree class.

My job here lasted for a year and I had to quit due to trust deficit with the man who hired me. He also left for the same reason after I left. However, during my stay I completed only a part of my Project Work as my term had a abrupt end. My dream of going round the mill was complete and I joined another Mill as General Manager and worked well again I resigned after about 18 months to join another mill as Managing Director.

Read the history of Binny Mills Ltd by courtesy of The Hindu.




No comments: