Tuesday, September 18, 2018

[ Back to my Future.]

Having a job on hand I had taken a decision to change or leave a job but now it was a spontaneous decision that I had resigned from a job, it was ringing in my years as to why it happened. My only comfort was if I had said sorry or some sort of an apology perhaps it would have been different. It was hard to comfort myself thinking. Thinking again of my friends where they are I took out my dairy full of notes and any details that may be required several things were written, few things were pasted and few more things including few Rs.1/- currency note were found. I saw a visiting card pasted it was from the merchant who had given me his visiting card in my mill before my trip to Bombay.

A phone call was required to get in touch with him. It was only land lines and no other means to contact a person. I went to a phone booth and gave the number and place to the person in charge of the booth. He saw it and told me it would cost nearly Rs.5/ as it was not a local call. How to spend Rs.5/- for a phone call, better check with a friend whose father ran a hotel, his father was always sitting with a phone at the cash counter in his hotel. He told his father would come home for lunch and at that time he would be sitting at the cash counter and it was possible to make a call but he said only once it can be done. We tried once but it was not connected the line was busy.There was a advocate who would not allow us, there was a LIC manager but he had 3 daughters so it was not possible to go. There was a KEB engineer whose phone would be a gov't phone and private calls he may not permit. So telephone use was ruled out. A Inland letter was better, so a letter was written giving my present jobless state and requested him to let me know any mill where there may be a vacancy.I told everything to my father, he took the phone number and said he will speak to him from his Mill. That was so nice of him. May be he did not like me to stay unemployed.

There were more than 500 textiles mills in Coimbatore and they were small, medium, big and huge mills I was hoping there would be some vacancy and the gentleman at Coimbatore who was visiting many mills almost on all days perhaps would find out if there was a vacancy in any mill and get in touch. On that assumption I was busy tasting my mothers meal and sleeping with out any worry. There was no letter and father did not tell if he phoned or what happened, it was not possible to ask him. There was a option to apply to mill in Andhra especially Hyderabad. My dairy had few mills address, I wrote to 3 mills in a inland letter and waited but still when post man passed our house it was a slap on my face. Experiencing all thoughts days rolled. Father used to come home around 5:00 PM and smiled at me it was like a gift now it will be a job in his mill was my thinking. However just before our meal he said Coimbatore man will be coming to meet you he said. He will be here Sunday morning he said. Thank god I muttered to myself.

On that Sunday Mr.B.H.Shah visited us spent some time told my father he will try to get me a job in a local mill at Coimbatore and told me to send an application to an address and left. Next day my application was sent. With in a few days I got a interview letter asking me to go over to the mills for a interview. It was mentioned that I would be paid to and fro 3rd class railway fare for the journey. it was just a insult for me. A letter was sent that they were calling not a 3rd class technician but a first class technician and requested for a 2nd class fare. They did not reply. I told my father and he kept quite. Next day he told me to go and meet the mill manager and what ever they pay you accept. Oh he has talked to Coimbatore and felt relived. I got the job as a shift in charge a post which carried the designation of Asst Spinning Master which I got after 2 years. I continued in that mill for more than 9 years. That Mill was Kothari Textile Mills Ltd, Spinning & Weaving Mill. I was also joined by 3 of my college friends 2 in my mill and 1 in a reputed mill in town.

No comments: