Tuesday, September 18, 2018

[ A short stay with sweet and sour experience.]

My parents were happy that I had left Bombay, I also loved my parents and had wished a home nearer would be better in case a need arises that I may have to visit home for most important functions. Most of the domestic help was my mothers as my brother also had completed his graduation in mechanical engineering and had Joined Mysore Kirloskar at Harihar, which was twice the distance from my place. My sisters were helping my mother and we boys were away,this made me feel uncomfortable. However, everything was going fine. I had a home in the town which my friend left it for me when he joined some mills in Ahmedabad and things were comfortable.

The mill that I joined in the holy town of Nanjangud was 70 KM from Mysore. My work was the same as in Bombay. There was a Dy Spinning Master who was from Rajasthan he was a good technician but Mill Manager and General Manager were non-technical and very new in mill management. The mill was a closed unit with American Machines. There was nothing new, even fire buckets were old. The Manager was given to see production and nothing else. The General Manager was a young man managing god knows what.

Most of the staff were from Rajasthan and they were all staying inside the mills in a makeshift old building. They ran a canteen where all preparations were according to their choice made from pure ghee we only 2 technical staff did enjoy the food and snacks and Masala Tea, Workers canteen was again in an old canteen shed kept in a poor condition. Most of the workers were old workers of the closed mill who joined the mills when it was opened they did the work satisfactorily.

The Manager was a man who could not speak the local language and workers were uncomfortable.

The workers knew we had no powers to do anything but keep looking everywhere and spend time and go. This was working fine and it was only a year or less that the mill was started. The weaving shed was closed but few looms were running.

A old textile Mill in the closest city nearby in Mysore was closed due to labour trouble. It was a Govt Owned Mill which was run by a party from Delhi. They had demanded higher wages but management running the mill did not accept any revision in wages and workers went on strike. Some compromise was made and the mill was started.

My mill workers leaders went to Mysore and they got the agreement copy, they studied it and after comparing it category vice found their wages were lower and working conditions were better in Mysore. They started preparing their demands for higher wages in each category, the news went to my mill management. The mill management secretly obtained the labour agreement and secretly worked out and found they paid low wages but their gross wages paid was higher. They thought the number of workers was more and production was comparatively equal when adjusted . I think the General Manager, Mill Manager and Dy Spinning Master discussed this, when the Dy Spinning Master said he will make 2 machines into one where 50 per cent of workers will be reduced. It was accepted by the General Manager and a trial was started. One spinning machine was dismantled workers were not knowing what is happening they asked me I asked the Dy Spinning Master he told me he is joining 2 machines on a trial only and said about power savings, extra space for new machines that were expected, reduced machine downtime, better machine utilization and production.

I kept quiet for two days and even than one machine that was not dismantled work was slow and he showed no hurry to do the work. I asked him why he is taking time when so much benefit could be achieved. He was a good maintenance man so he took me near the machine and showed that there are these parts that had to be taken out, cut, and machined to join and this work can be done outside only as mill has no experienced machinist to do the job nor is there a machine in working conditions. Even if it can be conditioned, it was not of required width. This he said was explained to the General Manager and Mill Manager earlier but they said they will arrange it so and I am waiting he said. Few days I was keeping quiet and the day I did not find him I enquired in the office they told me he has gone to his village and will be coming soon. He never came. Some fitters removed another machine meanwhile to show work is in progress. I knew it is all a drama to confuse the workers. The Dy Spinning Master knew my background and we were on good terms he would have told me if  he was going on an urgent matter but he did not. The fitters stopped their work and were back to their posts working. The place was a mess with cotton lint, fluff and dust on the machine parts that were dismantled. I tried to make the workers clean but they refused. The fluff on machine parts would fly up in the air as long belts running from ceiling created an artificially dangerous fire hazard. The manager not knowing about this and went around the department turning the other way.

One fine night around or after 12:00 Mid Night there was a fire it spread to the whole of spinning Department. Fire Engines were called they had to come but they came and work intensified and in 3 hours the fire was put out. I was present at the spot and water had flooded the whole department workers started to remove water in Fire Buckets which had holes, somehow the holes were plugged and most of the water was taken out of the department.

The Mill Manager was coming he saw me, it was 4 AM perhaps he came direct to me and said start the machines.I told him there is still some water and it may cause electric shock to any worker so it will take some time to give power and start.

Few workers were present in their presence he shouted start the machines. Hearing him shout in dead silence more workers came, when I shouted back, sorry I won't start. There was no one who could start. He stood looking at me, I shouted at workers why are you looking at us remove water near the machines and motors in a local language. He perhaps understood perhaps, but still he was standing. It took a few more minutes when I again shouted start the main motor and run the machine on half belt on one by one. All machines started slowly I could see workers had done a good job. Even the Head Jobber was cleaning as he was in mill quarters and had come. The Mill Manager told me to meet the General Manager in the morning. I told him I will. He told me we are paying you such a high salary you behave like this. I told him do not compare my salary with yours. Where they paid me less behaved better. I will submit my resignation to General Manager and left the Department.

In the Morning I met the General Manager he saw me and asked what had happened I told him everything. He asked me what he should do, he was a young chap I gave him my resignation letter and told him to please accept the letter and left his office.

I went to the Finance Manager and told him to settle my accounts. He was looking at me I sat down and told him I want my accounts settled immediately as I have given my resignation letter. Just then General Manager came. I stood up he said I can sit down and told the Finance Manager to pay my full month salary in their Marwari language and went back to his office.

I got the money came home to put all my things in a gunny bag I paid the borrowed from my Land Lady gave her also my months rent told her I am going for good. She asked me why I told her the weather was not suitable to me and went inside took my things gave the Key to the land lady and came to the Bus Stand and was at home late in the evening.

No comments: