Monday, September 17, 2018

[ Bombay was also The Textile Capitol of India.]

I and my friend got down at VT now CST Bombay now Mumbai. We had to take a local suburban train as we had to stay in my friends sisters house for a night and then get bunked somewhere till we could get a job in any mill. At that time all mills were making money and profits. Every mill was working with 30-year-old machines mostly Made in England. Few mills showed concern to technology and had installed modern machines of any country other than England as govt of the day did not permit any machine from England as we understood

My friend's sister and her husband welcomed us with hot Gujarati food and we both ate without any shame as we had not taken anything since 12 hours to save money, we were provided with Beds to sleep and we both slept soundly. Next morning after a good breakfast we left for the city of Chimney's and seeing those our hearts were filled with hope that we will work under the shadows of one of the chimneys. My friend had enquired regarding lodging places and had selected a Gujarati Lodge near the local railway station in Matunga. We both settled in the place. The next day I left for my uncle's place in Santa Cruz and landed in his home had settled comfortably. I asked my uncle if I should wait for a job or what?. He said no you will go to any mill every day meet the Manager or MD and tell them you want a job and tell them my name and tell them I have sent you to meet them requesting a job. I asked why can't you give me a letter, he said that is not necessary. For 2 weeks I went daily to any mill Chimney I could see from the local train got down there and met the Managers, they all listened to me some said they will call me if there is a vacancy, Some interviewed and said they need a local mill experienced person. Some wanted an application with my biodata. One mill manager gave me spinning calculations and told me to submit and go but I could not do it and slipped out without making a sound. The Bombay Dyeing Mill Spinning Master said he would take me as a trainee, ONE Mill MD was my favourite cricketer Vijay Merchant who said he is busy and did not allow me to see him for one minute. I was reporting to my uncle every day and perhaps he was fed up. He told me to meet one of his deputy who worked under him, He was a Sizing Master in New Great Eastern Spinning & Weaving Mills Ltd. I met him he told me to meet his brother Mr.Dhandekar who was Mill Chief Engineer in Century Spg & Weg Mills Ltd. He told me to meet Mr.H.P Wadia Spinning Superintendent and he told me to join the mills next day. I asked him for an appointment order. He got wild and said, you want a job or an appointment order. I told him sorry sir I will join tomorrow, he said to come at 11:00 PM shift. I got a shock and was standing he rang a bell and his office peon opened the door Mr.Wadia said to take him to Zenith Spinning Master I slowly thanked him and followed him and met the Spinning Master he was a nice looking man who smilingly said he will take care of everything and I can come at 11:00 PM and tell security that I have called you and meet Mr.Vengsarker in 4th floor at 11:00 PM. I said I will. He said after a few more days the shift will change and I will follow the shift in day shift and that's how it goes. I was happy. I came home and met my uncle.

Getting down from 3rd Floor of Zenith Mills in Century Mill compound I saw Bombay Dyeing Mill Compound was next to Zenith Mill. Why not join Bombay Dyeing Mills was in my Mind. When I returned to my uncle's home there were 3 appointment letters. My uncle was also at home. I told him what happened at the Century Mills. He was happy and said to go and join them it is best for you. Drop any other offer you have or you may get. That night I attended the 3rd shift in Century Mills spent nearly 3 years working in Zenith Mills and also observing the working of Century Mills which was situated after the huge weaving shed biggest in India. I also saw every department which perhaps was nowhere else in any mill in Bombay. All the technical Staff of Zenith Mills were very friendly and the Spinning Master and Spinning Superintendents were perhaps no comparison to any mill in south India who shouldered heavy responsibility on any of them and worked so well that made me feel as to what are the expectations of a technical man from the Mill Management.

I had visited my parents twice during my visits they would ask me if I would come down to the south. My father did not like me to be working with him since I had not joined a sister mill of his mill and the man who offered me the job was his boss also in his mill. Century Mill management's another arm took over a closed mill very close to Mysore in Nanjangud and when I applied I was offered a senior job by designation but work was same and I was offered Rs.150/- more. I told everybody why I am going and quit the job and came down to Bangalore. My friend who came with me to Bombay was working in Gold Mohar Mills and he continued in his mills. As I was coming to VT station some tears came down my cheeks. I was thinking it will never be another chance for me to enter another mill. My uncle had left Bombay giving me his FLAT free but I could not manage independently I had to come back to my old guest house and stayed with my friend until I left Bombay. I had learnt a lot in spinning working under Mr.H.P Wadia and Mr.Chemburker and Mr.Dighe and Mr.Chandu Bhave.

No comments: