Friday, September 07, 2018

[ My 3 shift duty's and adjustments.]

I was about to complete one month in day shift in few days when spinning master told me that I must start rolling in all 3 shifts from 7:00 AM to 3:00 PM, 3:00 PM to 11:00 PM & 11:00 PM to 7:00 AM.

My second shift was thrilling as I was in charge of the happenings in the entire mill. I told my friend he was happy, but he had to go home after his training since his mill had no vacancy and his application to various mills in the city he did not get even a reply. He also told me that now my steps to the top had started. This gave me some motivation to work with interest. I could write in the log book everything. No body wrote about any information other than any issues except machine problems. Once I wrote that a light bulb near the toilet was not burning to Mill Engineer. Next day the spinning master asked me since how long the bulb was not burning in log book. I wrote in log book that I was in shift only from yesterday and I saw it when I took my rounds out side the mill. The next day he said don't reply to me in log book come and see me. I said I am sorry sir. I told my friend about it. He is right you should not do it. I kept quite. I told my friend that coming from mill after 11:00 was scary he said don't come sleep in mills only. Near the lake on my road was a devil women who will come naked with oil smeared all over her body grab you and empty your pockets she will attack men and no one knows how to catch her since she smears oil all over her body and she may target me when I come after my 2nd shift with my pay at the month end. This worried me so I slept only in mills on a table, no pillow nor a bed sheet. When I asked a staff he said I must take a Room in the Village and cook myself. Another worry.

My 3rd shift also started when I realized that coming to mill at 11:00 PM was a lonely bicycle ride in a lonely road at 10:00 PM which gave me some shivers so I asked my colleague how he was coming he said he had to come early and wait near the hotel where he took food and he was just a kilometer from mills and it was no problem. I started doing it. My 3rd shift was another problem as I was not expected to sleep. I did not care and slept for a hour during my shift break. Some times I did not get up and my junior staff would wake me up. I asked him if others were sleeping. He said sometimes and not like me. This was my worry. The food I ate where another supervisor was eating was another worry as rice was so big that I count every grain I had on my plate and Sāmbhar was watery which I had never even seen let alone eat.

My thinking about working in shift was very different actually there was no responsibility of any sort. Every body worked and I did not find any body sleep. If there was any problem you just write it in log book. Due to some good reason if machines randomly worked with heavy breakages the Jobber would make it alright with out even telling me. I informed the spinning master about this and he asked me to analyze the weight of yarn bundles and find out if I did notice any change in yarn bundles weight. That night I sat in the testing room and took out the note book, there were more than 100 readings which the spinning master had seen and signed with some figures underlined. The packing department did not work in 3rd shift so there was no one to tell me what did the figures mean. I wrote figures which showed + or - 20 there were few only. I wrote + or - 30 grouped them 'A' and the rest as group 'B' group 'B' was more than group 'A'. I showed it to spinning master he said what does it say. I said group 'B' weighs more than group 'A'. He said when will you learn and went away. I did not say anything but was disappointed with myself. I took advantage of spinning master who spoke my mother tongue was also his. He said you are coming to first shift from next week and you will learn everything.

I do not know how I spent that week but worked grinding my teeth.

No comments: