Sunday, September 09, 2018

[ Yarn Bundle Weights Data.]

Now that I was to look after SQC, Standards, Testing and another mill also, time had come to operate on the yarn testing machine which showed yarn quality with regard to thick places, thin places and weak places and total defects. I had seen the reports but could not study them as they were all in place and in files that only spinning master could see. I was sure that he would hand me the file sooner or later. I had to go to day shift again and was wondering what work would be allotted to me. I had received my salary which was 50% more than what I was getting from Gov't through the mill working as a Gov't of India Trainee,and had been to a temple though not in Perur which I had postponed. So my next job was to send my mother Rs.10/- by MO and then to buy the book STATISTICS. It was in the evening on my pre holiday, my friend and myself went to various book stores to find the book 'Statistics' we could not get it, no book store was keeping any book on statistics. We thought it is best to get it from Bangalore from who so ever goes home and returned to our hotel took meal and came to lodge. The next day was a holiday for me but my friends would go to mills and I would be alone. The data I had collected was not much it was only for a few days. What was the idea of collecting the data I thought I opened the book on SQC and found that 'Data collection is the process of gathering information which could answer questions' that was what that man from Japan had said in my training. I had to know the question to get the answer. I asked the question myself What was the quality in a yarn bundle. There were no test records only spinning master wanted the weight of the yarn bundle. My tough brain told me ask STUPID  the worker who packs. . I thought I would do it first thing in the morning when I would weigh the yarn BUNDLE for . The BUNDLE QUALITY.

That night I sat alone and did some thinking about the Bundle weight, The 30s count bundle had 30 knots, 40s had 40 and 60s had 60 knots and each bundle weight was 4.5 Kg's or 10 lbs for all counts. How much yarn was there in one lbs and how many yards of cloth would one 1 lbs of yarn can make. The formula was Oz's/ Sq. yard = 45 GSM of cloth say of 30s count 45/34 = 1.3235 Sq. Yard. so for 16 Oz's = 21.176 sq. yards  or 1 lbs of yarn of 30s count must produce 21.176  sq. yards converting of yarn to cloth will have some yarn as hard waste which is perhaps 5% in which case the cloth will be  21.176 Sq. Yards - 5% = 1 yard and the weaver will OK the yarn quality if he gets 20.176 sq. yards for 1 lbs of yarn. The weavers would buy bundles from yarn merchants, (I was told by a yarn merchant who was our college mate but did yarn business and never worked in a mill.) In case he gets short of his calculations he will complain to the yarn merchant that yarn quality is not up to his requirement. We were making 30s count,40s count and 60s count, you can work out on this basis for 40's & 60's.


The spinning master was also looking at a book which was called as wrapping book. Here there were several readings of yarn tests which showed what was the count of yarn that was made continuously all 24 hours was tested each day and recorded in that book. There was also tests that were done on other machines and they had to keep correct wrappings to get correct count of yarn.. The Spinning master would  go through all the readings and write in his green pen a number and sign the book and visit various departments what he was doing in the dept he was talking to jobbers and fitters mostly. We supervisors could not ask the jobbers and fitters what was that the spinning master was talking

I talked to my friend in his room and told him about my problem and I told him what the spinning master had told. I asked him his opinion as I was going in first shift in the morning and how I needed his help . He said note down all bundle weights and we will find out if there is any significant difference by working out the correlation coefficient which is a coefficient that gives a quantitative measure of some type of correlation and dependence.

The Data collection I has was not sufficient and I had not made the process of gathering and measuring information on targeted variables in an established systematic method he said and he showed a picture and explained how the values can be seen of the Data he had collected and explained to me to do the same immediately so that I can try to impress the spinning master. I asked him to explain the picture below and if he had done it . He said he had seen it some where and showed me where he had kept it.  He said it was called as scatter diagram and the average values obtained  were plotted showing on X & Y axis the upper and lower values that deviated from the average values by (+) or (-) than the average values. How significant the results were was shown for yellow dots as 0.89/0.88 and for blue dots as 0.51/0.48. I told him how I can I explain this to a weaver since most of them can't read, he said he does not know.( I had done a better arithmetic to know what the weaver can understand if my arithmetic is correct.) 



No comments: