Sunday, September 02, 2018

[ Textile Capitol of South India.]

I had 7 days to report for my training in the next mill which was also my first mill to enter in to my professional career. The first thing was to go by train as interstate buses were not operating and roads by state high ways was not a priority for the gov't either by the state or central gov'ts. However, trains to other states was there built by the British Rulers not for us but for them to travel all over the country, they Perhaps had no idea or idea about road construction in India and did not take it up. After we got our independence no body had any idea on roads or they had other ideas more important for them and not for their country.

I did my research in the railway station and found there was a train going from my place to Coimbatore it was called Island Express. I further researched if my place was a island and found that the island was in a state next to the state I was entering. The train had several class for the traveller. There was 3rd class, Inter class, Sleeper Class, 2nd Class, and 1st Class there was no a/c class. My journey was over night travel so I booked my ticket in sleeper class took my ticket kissed it and kept it in my pocket safely. I don't remember how much was the cost it was perhaps Rs.20/- or less. I came home gave it to my mother and told her to keep it near God so I can travel safely.

The next research consisted of my stay in Coimbatore. It was necessary for me to go to my college and find out who were the students put up under training staying in Coimbatore. I got to know 5 of our students who were under training or employed and was informed they all of them stayed in front of a lodge opposite to the Railway Station. I was told that the train would stop on 1st floor and I had to come down from the platform to go to the lodge. The lodge they told was very big and there were several lodges and could find our college students easily. I was confused as to how to go to a place where the train would go up on first floor which I had never heard. I did not tell my mother this RED information but told her our college students are there working hence she need not worry. My mother wanted to know where was that lodge and its address. I bluffed saying its woodlands Lodge, Opp to Railway Station, Coimbatore Town, Madras State. She wrote it on the calendar that was hanging on the wall, in prayer room very slowly.

My mother was very bold she could remember what she wrote and I thought she might as well come with me to leave me in Coimbatore and return by next train. I thought it was important to get the address of the students working in Coimbatore. Next day I went back to the college to find out some boy's  address. After talking to few staff members the despatch clerk of the college office told me to wait, went through a book and gave me the address of one student who was staying in a lodge far away from railway station. My mother saw me writing a post card. She wanted to know to whom I was writing the post card. I told her it was to my college student who was working in Coimbatore. I got reply after 5 days. I had to travel next day she only received the letter from the postman read it and gave it to me. That letter guaranteed my mother that I would be safe at Coimbatore.

The next day I was ready to go to catch the train at 19:00 Hrs and my friend had said he would be at the station to receive me. He had also told that I must bring Rs.100/- and 2 Bed Sheets and 2 Towels along with my other things and if possible my bicycle also. My mother was happy there was a fellow to guide me and I saw her unpacking a bag. So I was sure she would not come with me. All this care was on account of my going alone as my previous out station journey was along another student who travelled with me in my previous journey and he was known to her and she did not bother at that time.

It was 6th day and overnight travel that would land me on 7th day morning and I had to report on that day. I did not worry much as I had a letter to Mill Manager. I had my meal, my father was at home and after their blessings I went by a Jutka to railway station and got down next day morning at my station.

Coimbatore Textile Capitol of South India. My senior at the college had come to take me to his lodge.

The Lodge it was a old Tailed house perhaps a haunted house with full of Boy's from any where. My senior friend took me to a man sitting behind a wooden Table on a wooden chair in a common portico which was all around the house, I asked the man in-charge who was looking at me and senior friend in local language if I could get a single room. He said come and see. It was a nice room like a room in a hut in a village it was out side the main house at left side of the Main Wide Gate . I asked him what was the rent. He said Rs.10/- per month ( Common Toilet - Common Bath Room ). I said OK and paid one months advance rent, this was perhaps a Watch Man's Room of the Owner of this big house.

My senior friend said OK now I have to go. I said wait, how will I go to My Mill. He said OK I will wait, you get ready I will bring you a bike and tell you how to go and left.

I was ready and he came. I told my senior friend about the toilet he said he told you it was a one toilet for everybody. One toilet where 25 people sit at a time and one bath room with a tap over head at 3 feet interval spaced in a bid open top less roof where water pouring over your head never that stopped.

My senior friend took his bike told me that I can keep the bike and pay Rs.30/- per month Rent and as it was his account there was no security deposit. We came to the main road where we saw the gate of our time famous textile mill. He said here you turn left and go up to a bridge on the road take a right turn and I would get to my mill which was the last mill on the road.

I got the mill almost at the end of the road and got down near the Mill Main Gate which had a small gate I stood there and a Watchman came and I told him that I was sent from Head Office and I was under transfer to this mill and would be working in the mill from today. He told me to wait went inside and came to me in few minutes and told I can go and meet the Manager and he also said that I was expected.

I went inside kept my bike in the stand and entered the portico and saw the Manager's office the office boy opened the door and I met the Mill Manager.

No comments: