Saturday, June 30, 2018

[ Buying & Selling. ]

The concept of building a textile mill by the local politician was after several such mills were built and were working and those politicians were grinning from ear to ear on seeing other politicians. So, he met a man who gave him a project which showed that a special yarn producing textile mill was a viable project, with this project he went to a bank and secured a loan and asked the man who gave him the project what to do with money from the bank. This person a textile technocrat did everything to start a mill and never bothered to see the project did go on smoothly however, things were going on limping and came to a halt when there was no technician to carry on work on ground zero. The technocrat was pressurized by the chairman perhaps that's when I met him and everything was on my lap the whole mill. I completed everything from building construction which was partially done was completed, machines were erected, set, production commenced, and marketed as no one from directors were conversent with as to how to do the basic things which was buying raw material and selling, draw contracts and procedures required as required by the Bank which had given a big loan. The accounts department was pure local language and I could understand the talk but could not talk. However I was knowing Hindi and could talk. They understood my Hindi.

I talked to two directors and explained how I purchased raw material and sold yarn and told them to take over the work from me and I would help them. I sent them to Bombay Yarn Market and the merchant explained to them how I was selling the yarn. I gave in writing the complete procedure to buy raw material and sell the yarn as they had spent several days studying the method. I instructed the Secretary to see the purchase is made after looking in to my procedure with immediate effect. A note was sent to chairman on the handing over of this job there was no comment and they tried to buy polyester fiber and they did not know fiber properties and they said to despatch what ever was despatched early. I did not orally talk on my requirement but sent letters and goods were despatched through Bank by the supplier. The invoice was sent to Bank. Our Bank people were keeping the Invoice and the Mill had to Pay the Bank and get the Invoice and show it to carrier and that the amount is fully paid and he would unload the goods and take the Paid Invoice Copy and go after taking the weight of all bales and giving a copy to the mills. Actual weight of the Bales were written on each Bale at the time of packing and at the delivery point weight was checked any difference was calculated taking allowance given for humidity. If there is any difference it was adjusted and amount was paid by the raw material supplier. The Go Down Clark would keep the record with all details of the raw material. I had prepared the raw material book and he followed. The book contained technical specifications also as per STANDARD for our quality of product manufactured.

The same method was adopted for cotton and this was kept in a separate go down.

Selling of Yarn.

Yarn selling is very complicated and needs lot of experience one has to offer his product to a merchant and if he knows the quality of our product A  he fixes the price of another  mill's  same product A's  price as Rs.Y. If some other mill is making product A and if it has a better Quality the price of that Product will be higher. The Best mills product price few mills can only get. The quality of yarn is measured by the breakages in Warping and the correct Specifications to get the required length of cloth as per STANDARDS.
The Directors who went to Bombay Yarn Market to study yarn selling procedure were told all these technical issues but they could not understand the warping breaks, cloth length or cloth color in gray state standard. 
The Directors must have told Chairman  that they find it hard to understand the buying and selling of yarn or raw material.
The Chairman must have met some other mills political mill Chairman and he must have told him he will help. I had a visitor who came to mills and told me that he will buy all the yarn from our mills and was prepared to pay to clear any stock if available.
I told him to meet the Directors and they would help him.
That ended my SELLING & BUYING OF MILL PRODUCTS.
Stores Organized.
I now started to organize store dept which was looked after by a local village educated boy who did not know how to maintain stores stock.All parts of various machines were kept on first come first served basis,Fitters used to pick up their parts and take them after it was noted down in a book. The person in-charge of the dept himself would come pick up the part and walk out. Some parts were thrown on the wall and heaped. I sat in stores with fitters and told them to keep the parts department wise and write the name of the part on a paper paste it keep it on the shelf in a order. As most of the machines were new there also there were some parts that were in the stores but not on the machine. It took few days but it was organized and the local boy was smart he learned it well. The electrical department engineer arranged his dept on a similar system. This included general Department like Civil and Silk Department.
Testing Department.
I had located a nice vacant area to set up testing dept and had completed all machines installation to set the machines so two local persons were working and I had taught them statistical quality testing since auto testing machine was not in the project and there was no budget. ASTM Yarn   appearance Test Boards would give the quality of yarn.By this time two technicians had joined and they were taught yarn testing in their college and they would read the tests and make any change required and report it in a book first thing in the morning when I came to the mill a girl had joined and she would bring this book to show me. I taught her how to set the calculator to get Random Numbers and pic samples only using random numbers.She could also calculate Co-efficient of Variation and use of these tools all tests were made. I ordered Twist Tester and this was also done by some body to whom I gave this Job laboratory assistants and spinning assistants also could do this test.I also got yarn samples from other mills of the same quality of yarn I was making for testing and these reports I would send to my yarn merchants.

No comments: