Friday, June 29, 2018

[ Rationalization of work. ]

Only few workers were on high workload and others found out they were getting 50% more wages. A complete new work load was drawn and presented to workers leaders though they would do what I wanted still I told them that they will work on trail and if they could do it they will do it on the first day of the month. only in one shift and it will be for 30 days only.

I had told the floor supervisor to take efficiency test of all machine tenders and in all shifts.

Other Data they had to take was his age experience, family, bad habits, relatives in the dept if any, address. Any disease like Diabetes, Blood Pressure and serious illness in the past.

A few days later the higher workload was accepted and few workers leaders came to me and asked what was I doing. I am trying to increase your wages as you had requested if my method was not accepted you need not do what I say as I cannot pay more wages. They asked if all the mill workers will get more wages I said yes and it will be done with out any loss in production. They agreed and told me they will come back in few days.

Few days later these workers went to chairman and told him my plan. There were some workers who were known to him as they had sold their land to him since he promised jobs to them. I was asked by chairman that such financial commitments have to be discussed in the board and after taking the decision we can announce it to workers not like this. I told chairman I will explain to directors and if they do not agree I will resign and go and I will tell why I am going if I am going. The Chairman told the secretary to have a board meeting to discuss my plan. I don't know what happened but there was no board meeting at all. I asked one or 2 directors what happened they said you carry on your plan we will not bother and just let us have your plan to think but you can do what you want.

The 30 day trial was started and it was in one dept and one section.The extra payment for higher workloads was paid weekly on every Sunday.This was paid cash in New Notes on spot at the end of shift to those workers who had accepted higher work load for higher wages.

These higher workload workers would not absent on Sunday's which was a regular headache of shortage of workers on Sunday's.

These workers going home with crisp New notes of Rs.10/- bundles tied with Rubber Bands made other workers mouth watering scene and they kept watching but told themselves that they should meet me in group and demand that higher work load be offered to all workers and 30 day's trial was not required.

A few days later when I came to the mills I saw workers had gathered near Time Office but did not bother and went to my office and called the Spinning Master to my office. He came with the group but the group stood out side and he came alone. I asked him what was the matter with those workers. He said they want higher workloads to all the people.I called all the workers to my office and told them that the Directors had given permission only for 30 days on trial and I was helpless.They told me they will get permission from Directors and I must implement. I said I will but there must be a agreement signed between workers and management They said you make the agreement and we will sign. I knew it would be a cake walk rationalization and it was.All the workers signed the New Workload and got more wages in just two years.

No comments: