Friday, September 07, 2018

[ Who was pushing and promoting me?]

I had to bike daily 5 KM up and down at early morning to reach the mill and come back to lodge at 3:00 PM again after 6 days take a holiday on Thursday as all textile mills were working with staggered holidays due to power shortage. When everybody is enjoying a holiday on Sunday I had to work, that had upset my mood on all Sunday's. It was only when I was in my 1st shift that I was free in the evenings, when I could meet my college friends who were all on training would see me. However, when I was in 2nd and 3rd shifts it was not possible. This worried me.

One day when I was in 2nd shift when the officers had all gone usually the office building had no lights except a light in the portico but on that day I saw lights were burning. I went there to find out why the lights were burning. I saw Standards Engineer that I had met at the previous mills sitting in the office going through a ledger. I went there and wished him. He smiled at me and told me to come and take a seat in front of his table. He asked me some questions and I asked him many and came to know he was a college mate of my another senior textile deputy weaving master to my uncle, knowing that my uncle was a weaving master he told me that, he had specialized in Standards and had worked for some time in Indian Standards Institute known as ISI a gov't organization. He told me his work in our mill was on how 'Standards' can help improve mills performance. It was very interesting. He also gave me a book on "Standards" now I had 2 books not available in any book store. One was on 'Statistical Quality Control' given by the textile Magnet Dr. Hanada of Japan and "Standards". There was another book 'STATISTICS' which our college Principal Prof: Sri Nagabhushna had told all students must read but I had not purchased. I thought as soon as I get my salary the first thing I would do was to buy that Book.

When I was in 1st shift again I saw him talking to our mill spinning master, I could not wish him nor talk to him knowing my predicament he called me and told the spinning master that my uncle was a weaving master in a mill in Bombay. The spinning master asked me my uncle's name and when I told him he was surprised and told me my uncle was his senior in the college. He was pleased and told me that I will be in 1st shift from then on to work in Standards, Quality Control and Testing in another mill also a short distant from our mill group. I knew no joy better and owed to visit Sri Perumal Temple at Perur as soon as I had my salary.

When on my Sunday as usual we were walking after our evening meal. I told my friends that I had a lift and would not be going to 2nd & 3rd Shifts it was a surprise to all but one of them said his uncles are promoting him and pushing him. I was shocked and speechless. I said if you want to know I said, go and climb a wall. I am running not standing to get pushed or lifted for promotion. No body wanted to say anything they knew it was useless.

No comments: