Thursday, September 06, 2018

[ My first day on taking charge.]

I came out of the mill holding my rented bicycle, there was a road to my left from where I had come and saw another mill gate and wanted to see the name of the mill what I saw was the name of a mill which was a sister concern of the mill that was near my lodge. I knew it was not possible to get in to that mill since it was a mill of different type where you had to know how to read and write the local language. I knew only how to speak. I had to learn a lot of what really is the work in a mill and it was my full time work.

Learning the local language to read and write was not my priority. There was no one to teach and I had no interest to learn. I had to work in a big mill was my agenda.

I had to bike for 45 minutes to reach my lodge and I did not feel it as I had a long holiday. My friend had already had come as I could see his bike. I changed my dress had a bath and wore fresh clothes. Sat in my room and was wondering how I can learn in this mill. I had seen the electronic yarn testing machine which was in my mill earlier but we as trainees were not allowed to touch it. To get my hands on that machine was my first priority. I was out at 3:00 PM but the person who was working on that machine would go at 5:00 PM only. My next item was as to why I had to weigh yarn bundles. I had to collect data. I was taught how to collect Data by the Japanese by using SQC technique. (perhaps I would know). Asking the Spinning Master would show that I was not knowing the reason for test nor knowing anything at all about the test. The Japane'y had presented a book on SQC methods to test quality of yarn. One test among others could tell if the variation in data for a particular test was significant and if it shows the test as significant action was to test if the input material had the same significant showing tests results. My friend entered my room and saw I was reading a book which I had closed, he asked me what was that I was reading, he was a first class student. I had lost my first class by just 1 mark because I had taken a picture of a girl who was speaking on a debate in our college in a debate competition. I did not show him anything but told him that I had no good meal in the noon lunch nor good coffee and we should go to have our evening meal and I would tell him after our meal.

I am also hungry let's go he said, we went by our bicycles to the town a mile away and on the way I told him everything. He said give me that book I want to read it. I also do not know why you have to weigh yarn bundles. What book it was my Note book with yarn bundles weight I said. He said I will find out if they do it in our mill and why do they do it. (first class student I thought.)

The hotel would serve meal on paying a lump sum of Rs.30/- per month and by paying they would give a Meal Ticket Book which had 30 tickets. One ticket was to be torn and placed on the table, the person who serves the side dishes would collect them while the serving starts. The meal was good. After our meal we both would go to railway station keeping our cycle in the hotel cycle stand and watch any train that comes and return to our lodge. On returning to our lodge I thought he would want to see the Note Book but he did not ask. We said good night and went to our rooms.

There was a watchman near the gate close to my Room not as our security but to stop any one who would vacate his room and run away. I told him to wake me up at 5:30 AM don't worry you will wake up he said. I went to bed and woke up when I heard boys shouting and came out to see there was a rush at the toilet enclosure and the big bath room. I went with my bath towel finished my morning toilet at the at the toilet enclosure and my shower at the shower center came to my room dressed in my mill dress and saw that my friend had left, I took my bicycle came near a tiffin shop took my heavy breakfast of 4 idly' s and coffee costing Rs.0.75 and came to the mill at 6;45 AM seeing my 2nd hand wrist watch 'ROMER' and adjusting the speed of the peddle. I saw workers standing here and there as I entered the side gate. The 3rd Shift supervisor was standing near the mill cycle stand waiting for me. He came to me and said everything is OK and he had stopped 3 machines for labor shortage and there was no breakdown of any machine and wanted to know if he had to come with me inside. I told him please come I want to hear from you how to take charge. He said OK and told me that taking charge was to show how he had kept the departments. Which I had to write in the log Book kept on the table in the test room, he came to the test room and asked me few personal questions and left. The discussions was mostly in local language only.

That's how my first one month I had to spend initially.

No comments: