Saturday, September 01, 2018

[ I saw all of them standing smiling waiting to know what happened.]

It was a sad feeling to leave a close knit people of same profession who never expect to leave the group and suddenly you are out of the group. This mother group in our life in this mill which had no care for a job after 6 months and now there was a rumor that all 6 of us would be to form a separate group to take up some project on 'Standards Engineering' under a team to undertake another training on hand who will guide us in implementing the project and a new 'Expert Industrial Engineer' will be appointed for the group of mills. All were thinking differently and were eager to know if I was chosen in some position to be in the group. I answered their questions and told them the whole episode from the day I took leave and went to my home it was indeed a big relief to all that no such thing would take place was informed to them. All my friends wanted to know what happened in the Chairman's office which I told. I also told them that Chairman has all the data of our activities and he may be having an idea to give you jobs.

The thinking was on that basis as to why after training 6 qualified textile technologists should be asked to go away when they need men who were in their care. After discussing at length we were not sure anything would happen. But I would be the first to get a job and salary not a stipend anymore. SS had told that my training which was mandatory to get my certificate would be from Kamala Mill from Coimbatore. I told them that we will be trained in Standards Engineering mostly and you must study this subject and not waste their and time till the last day of their training.

I went to the mill the next day met all the staff and workers with whom I was pestering for little favors since mill was not providing and tools to learn / fixing machinery parts which were not in order. I used to do it as there was no objection in that regard. One staff would give me any number of blank sheets to write my reports. No one was asking but the Japan Man was looking at it deeply. I got a certificate from the Japan's SQC trainer submitted my report and he was happy it was done but not fully recorded so he told me to send it from Kamala Mills and get my training completion certificate. I made up my mind to do it as I could add a certificate in my profile so I did that final statistical results on tests done with in 4 months at Kamala Mill and got my Certificate.

The next day I went to the Mill and met the Mill Manager and told him everything he was happy and he said you have to take a certificate for the period of your service you did in the mills so before you go come here and I will give you the certificate. I was so happy I thanked him. There was a gentleman sitting in the office listening to our conversation, I introduced myself to him and he told me he is the new "Standard Engineer' just joined. I said in that case I will meet you sir I said and came out. I told my fellow trainees that New 'STANDARD ENGINEER HAD Joined and they all better come wearing uniforms ( we had Khaki Pants and half arm white shirts ) and their files. I collected the certificate from Mill Manager and Met our SQC trainer to whom I informed that I am transferred to the sister unit, he was happy and game a certificate that I took mentioning that a 3 month SQC training that I underwent in the Mills.  

All my fellow trainees and few mill trainees came to see me off at the Railway Station their faces showed grim and I was at home next day at Breakfast time.

No comments: