Tuesday, September 04, 2018

[ Enter the Dragon.]

I entered the Mill Manager's Room, the room of the person and persons who are managers who control the entire operations of production and responsible for everything and anything that happens inside the mills all 24X7 hours of working. He is the only person held responsible even if one worker does not perform his duty with in one's prescribed working hours. Every one in the Mill is under scrutiny by some one or at one point in any spot. The rules are simple and if you follow it, you are rewarded. The man who is the Manager is very respected if he is not respected he is feared. If he is not efficient he loses his job if not somebody will replace him if not a General Manager is appointed, only if he is related to some one in the management. Textile Mill is not like any other industry. It is said that it is the mother of all Industries. The mill employees all professionals like no other industry. Textile sound means the sound of brotherhood of all men who work side by side in hundred of places all over the entire mill and to maintain that sort of disciplined atmosphere is the duty of the Manager of the Mill. How busy he can be you can just guess.

I entered the room of such a person. He was wearing a white half arm shirt and white trousers. The same dress my father used in his mill and his 'Spinning Master' but my fathers mill was huge it was perhaps 4 times the size of this mill I could guess as I was able to see the most of its structure of all around  the compound that I could see from the Main gate walking to the Manager's Office. There was a General Manager in my father's place where my father worked and above him was a Mill Director. They were not the employees of the mill they worked but of the Management who employed them at Bombay. I had seen from a distance only once, they also were wearing white coat over their pant and shirt. They were Parsis and looked different. I was seeing the Mill Manager who was sitting in front of me he smiled 25% only, and as he was looking at me I said Good After Noon Sir.

You are S K G Rao he asked, yes sir I have the transfer order letter and gave him the letter.

He said yes I saw the copy of that letter and took my letter from my hand.

I have a letter to you given to me from your friend sir, I said (took that letter from my file given by Spinning Master of the Mill where my father works.) and gave the letter to him.

He looked different but took that letter and read it. How do you know him he asked.

My father works under him and he is Jr. Tech Officer in charge of Carding Department.

Have you taken training in Carding Department under your father he asked.

No sir it is the policy of the mill not to employ employee's siblings. He smiled 25%.

He asked about our period / duration of our course, who taught us, where we took our training in practical's, Who was our Principal, what I had learnt in Mills attached to HO,
I answered all his questions. He smiled 10% picked up the phone and said to some one can you come to my office and kept the receiver.

I was still standing, when he said we will give the appoint letter to you as spinning supervisor and you will work for one month in day shift after words you can work in shifts. That's OK sir but I want designation as 'Dept Asst'(Spg) please sir, I requested.

That's not the system in all the 18 Mills of our group. It is a major change. Since you seem to know Spinning Superintendent you can try through him but I suggest you just do your work let me see how you work. I said it is OK sir.

I am giving you Rs.50/- Extra per month, it is for 1 years and then there will be a review he said and added that was instructions from SS from HO.

A gentleman who came may be 45 years entered the room and sat down in a chair opposite to Mill Manager. glanced at me with 25% smile.

The Mill Manager said showing his hand to-words the gentleman that's our Spinning Master he will brief you on your duties and he will take care of your work he said. I assure you I will work hard and learn well what ever I have to learn in Spinning I said, the Spinning Master Got up and said come let's go.

No comments: